Thursday, July 19, 2007

WEEK 7--Thing 16 and Thing 17

First, a comment about wikis. I understand the pros and cons. In certain environments, open wikis are a great way to be exposed to alot of information. In a library environment, however, where reliable sources are necessary, I'm not quite convinced.

Well, I have spent quite a bit of time exploring wikis. I like the possiblities of using wikis for training. I was actually hoping to discover information in one that discusses staff training, in particular consistency in public service. I do think a wiki is a good place for this. I like that our strategic plan working document is on the wiki. The advantages over the email system is apparent. In the library world, taking advantage of what other libraries have learned is always a good thing. It is exciting that so many minds can converge on one topic and ultimately produce a best practice product.

I visited the Maryland Libraries Sandbox and added my blog to Favorite Blogs page. I am not too excited about this section.

I am not happy about what has happened after visiting Maryland Libraries Sandbox. Now I am receiving emails from everyone who is editing. How can I stop this? Does anyone know?

Thank you, Lynn, for reading the screen, and teaching me how to stop the emails and have my link in Favorite Blogs actually work. We are, indeed, a learning library!!!

No comments: